Knob and Tube Wiring?

If your home is more than 50 years old, there’s a good chance that you have knob and tube wiring. Knob and tube wiring is not able to meet the greater electrical demands of a modern home and may pose fire and safety hazards.

Fairly common in houses built before 1950, knob and tube wiring consists of individual electrical conductors which are supported by porcelain insulators called knobs. Porcelain tubes protect the wires that run through studs and joists.

Seven Oaks Electrical recommends replacing any knob and tube wiring for several reasons.

  • Heat directly above ceiling lights along with age often causes the cloth or rubber insulation covering to become deteriorated and brittle. This deterioration exposes the bare wire and creates fire and electrocution hazards.
  • Improper alterations by homeowners and other amateurs over the years are the most consistent problems with knob and tube wiring becoming a safety hazard.
  • Knob and tube wiring lacks a grounding conductor. Even if old two-pronged outlets are upgraded to modern three-pronged, the lack of a grounding conductor creates a greater risk of electrocution or damage to sensitive equipment.
  • The individual conductors were designed to remain uncovered to dissipate heat. Insulation on top of knob and tube wiring is a major fire hazard.

Although many older homes in the Winnipeg area still operate with knob and tube wiring, Seven Oaks Electrical recommends replacing it with modern wiring. In fact, many insurance companies may require you to carry a more expensive policy to offset the fire risk inherent in these older systems. If you suspect that your current home or one you are purchasing may have knob and tube wiring, contact Seven Oaks Electrical. We can evaluate your home for the presence of knob and tube and discuss options for replacing it.